Perils of a young NQT


This was the goal. 
From the day I made my decision to apply for teacher training, the ultimate goal was of course to get to my NQT year. It was to achieve the grades I needed at A-Level in order to get into my first choice uni and once there, to thrive and graduate. 

Check. Tick. Done.

So why do I really feel like teaching is the only profession where I don't feel 'celebrated' and welcomed by everyone? I am so proud of getting this far through education and to also have landed the job that I wanted in the first school I interviewed at, but is just doesn't seem like a shared excitement.
This awareness first started close to home, where my cousin's husband was upset that his son was being taught by a "new, inexperienced, child"...... translation: a 21 yr old NQT. 
I mean... he was having this moan about it to me. Knowing full well I was in my final year of the same profession and this "new, inexperienced, child" was soon to be me. Apparently this "child" was too young to have enough knowledge to educate his 5 year old, and shouldn't be left alone to teach in her first year. The words of a man unaware of the THREE YEAR training and placements and degree undertaken to get here alongside the fact that she would be so heavily monitored in everything she did. 
This was when I began to see the first crack appear in my confidence. 


The second (and biggest) crack - I may even go as far as to call it a crater - is by far the most shocking. 
It came from my third year class teacher/mentor and soon-to-be NQT mentor, who encouraged me so much throughout my training and even wrote in my final report that I had "inspired him to be a better teacher and reminded him why he joined this profession."
Wow.
But when trying to calm me down during 'meet the teacher' day where I was shaking with nerves he explained how his daughter was going to be with an NQT next year. Great! He could help reassure me that parents would be OK with me. Ohhhhhhhh how wrong I was. Thus began what could only be described as a colossal rant about how disappointed he was that his daughter has to spend a year with "some 21 yr old kid straight out of uni." This persisted for at least 10 minuted before being concluded with the ever wonderful phrase "no offence though."
Yep.
Offence most definitely taken.
The person who is meant to reassure me and support me, telling me that I'm equal to everybody else and capable of whatever I want to was criticising me through someone else.




But it's not the NQT title that these people were bothered about. Nor the comments I saw appearing on teacher social media platforms, or in general discussion with people who have children. It was the fact that I am 21. How on earth could someone so young be in charge of children? How could you be old enough to teach? How on earth could you know enough in your short life?!
Let me tell you something.
  • I can assure you that I know more about educating your child than you do. Where is your BA(hons) in Primary Education? Or your QTS? Three years experience? Three 'outstanding' grades from placements? Didn't think so.
  • In what way does my age influence my life experience? That is an astoundingly large assumption to make. Regardless, how does that influence my ability to teach? 
  • Does that fact that I wanted this job so much that I worked so hard and achieved it as soon as possible not just scream commitment and capability? 
  •  I completed my training alongside 60 other students who were mostly older than me yet I achieved higher grades both at uni and in the classroom - not that that indicates a teacher's potential anyway. 
  • 50 years ago if I was a 21 year old female I would have been married off and impregnated by now, I would have been apparently been considered old enough for that.
  • And finally... shut up! What had you achieved by 21?
I'm sorry for all of the rant but I really do feel like young, fresh teachers have such a hard reputation at the moment and it really concerns me. 

It seems so overwhelming to be 21, watching all my friends graduate and travel the world, or get swanky and shiny office jobs where they get sent free things daily and get to have 'Tequila Tuesdays' just for the fun of it. It seems like everyone else can just book a spontaneous long weekend away and see the world on their high post-grad wage. 
So why do we get such a hard time for NOT having that luxury? For dedicating at least 60 hours a week to providing 30+ children with fun-packed days of learning and excitement. For coming home with cardigans covered in poster paint rather than Mulberry handbags filled with business cards. For moaning about the pupil data system and government cuts rather than bitching about how Suzie from accounts has started buying digestives instead of bourbons. 

I for one am proud of the self-sacrifices that us young NQTs make in order to educate and I think it's about time that we all stood together in this and showed the cynics what we are capable of achieving.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Success Guilt' is a real thing - but that doesn't mean its OK.

Expect the unxpected

Time Flies When You're ... Busy